Mini Monkey Breads
Faced with an earlier tailgate this week, I decided to make something I’ve always considered to be more of a breakfast food. I’m not sure why I see monkey bread as a breakfast food but I do. These miniature monkey breads are super easy and they are quite a crowd pleaser. What’s your favorite “breakfast dessert”?
Makes about 18.
3 cans of buttermilk biscuit dough (I used mini biscuits – 10 per can)
1 cup of sugar
2 tbsp of cinnamon
1 1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Place muffin liners in muffin tin.
3. Remove all of the biscuit dough from the cans and cut into 4ths or 6ths depending on whether you have mini biscuits or large biscuits. Then, shape into rough balls.
4. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine sugar and cinnamon. Stir or shake to combine.
5. Place all of the dough balls in the plastic bag and shake until all balls are evenly coated with the cinnamon sugar mixture. If you need to separate the balls from one another after shaking for a bit to make sure everything gets coated – do it! Set aside.
6. In a small saucepan, melt together butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is just dissolved, about 5 minutes.
7. Drop a spoonful of butter/sugar mixture into each muffin cup.
8. On top of the butter/sugar mixture, place the dough balls in the muffin liners – as many as will fit. For large pieces – about 4 and for smaller pieces about 5-6. Repeat, filling each muffin cup with remaining dough.
9. Spoon an additional spoonful or butter/sugar over each muffin.
10. Bake for 15 minutes, until puffed and bubbly.
11. Serve the monkey breads hot! If made ahead of time, reheat, covered in foil, for about 10 min on 300 degrees.