Spicy Mango Granita (A Cross Between Italian Ice and Sorbet)
I subscribe to Cooking Light. Well, it was a Christmas gift from my folks. I love it. Cooking Light has all kinds of great recipes from challenging to simple and often times, it contains some great tips and other article features. I came across this Granita business in the August issue. The photo looked like an adventure in slushy goodness. I was spot on. Granita starts with a syrupy base that you freeze while slowly scraping into a fluffy treat. You can go with a fruity twist like my Granita above or get crazy and go all sangria on everyone. You are free to choose your own adventure here.
You can visit Cooking Light’s recipe page here.
4 cups cubed peeled ripe mango
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
Dash of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into a blender; process until smooth.
5. Strain through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids.
6. Pour into an 11 x 7inch baking dish; cool.
7. Cover and freeze for 45 minutes; scrape with a fork. Freeze.
8. Scrape every 45 minutes until completely frozen (about 4-6 hours depending on your freezer).
9. Remove from freezer; scrape with a fork until fluffy. Transfer to serving dishes and serve!