Grilled Corn, Bean, and Avocado Salad
I’m a sucker for grilled corn. It’s the quintessential summer vegetable. It’s wonderful on the cob or tossed in a summer salad. This particular salad is so simple with only lime for dressing. I suppose you could kick it up a notch with rice vinegar or olive oil but, you won’t miss those things here. Trust me. And, this salad keeps well in the fridge for a few days (if you sprinkle lime juice overtop to keep the avocados from browning). Enjoy this fresh summer side!
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1 tsp salt divided
3 ears of corn
1 medium white onion cut in the 1/4 inch thick slices
1 jalapeño pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup of fresh lime
1 (15 oz.) can of no salt added pinto beans rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can of no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
1 peeled and diced avocado
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
3. Brush corn with olive oil, sprinkle with salt to taste, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place on the grill turning about 3 times during cooking for about 15 minutes.
4. Spray a larger sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Slice jalapeño in half length-wise. Remove seeds if desired. Place jalapeño and sliced onions in the aluminum foil and seal shut. Grill for about 7 minutes shaking the aluminum foil pocket about 3 times throughout.
5. When done, remove corn and other vegetables from the grill. Allow to cool. Remove kernels from the cobs and chop the onion and jalapeño (remove the stem from the jalapeño).
6. Add corn, onion, and jalapeño to tomato mixture. Stir to combine.
7. Add remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, cilantro, black beans, pinto beans, and lime juice. Toss well.
8. Top with avocado and additional lime juice if desired and serve!