Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler aka Rhubarb Rodeo
This was my Fathers’ Days dessert. For the first time in 15 years I was able to celebrate this holiday in-person with my Dad. I have an amazing Dad and it was really nice to share this meal with him.
I’m not a cobbler or pie person. I’ll take ice cream over those treats any day. My Dad, however, likes both cobbler and pie. As you can see, I gave the ‘ol cobbler a whirl. Turned out pretty good – I even liked it! Also, this was my first time at the rhubarb rodeo. Before beginning this adventure, I didn’t know jack about rhubarb. You could have slapped me with a stalk of it and I would asked “what was that?” I still feel like it’s a bit of a mystery. Even so, here are a few facts I learned in my pre-cobbler research:
- rhubarb leaves are poisonous!
- rhubarb is a vegetable
- the pinker stalks are sweeter
Enjoy this cobbler with some vanilla ice cream!
2 c sliced strawberries
3 c rhubarb, chopped
Juice of one lemon
2/3 c white sugar
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 c butter
1 c milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish or deep dish pie pan, combine berries, rhubarb, lemon juice, and white sugar.
3. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, brown sugar and cinnamon.
4. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until small crumb like mixture results.
5. Stir in milk until just combined. Drop by the spoonful on top of fruit mixture.
6. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Original recipe from Within the Kitchen is Where Life Happens.